Markets sober up in January from year-end highs
Download the latest reports
Global stock and bond market performance moderated and diverged in January from the broad-based year-end rally. Long yields in the US, UK and Europe rose from their year-end lows challenging long-duration bond performance, as markets recalibrated expectations for the timing of anticipated policy rate cuts. Rising geopolitical tensions were supportive of the USD and crude oil.
- Global asset classes – Growth and rate expectations underpin diverging performance
- Global equities – Japan, Europe and US outperform
- Industry returns – Health care bolsters returns
- Alternative indices – REITs underperform
- Factor performance – (Small) Size lags, Momentum outperforms
- Foreign exchange – USD appreciates broadly
This report provides actionable insights on global performance across asset classes, regions, currencies, industries and styles, using proprietary month-end data from our flagship index families.
To support your investment decision-making, we produce specialist content that provides analysis and insights on a range of investment topics. Go to our hub for valuable Market Insights.