Application Hints & Tips
Making the most of your application and our events
We want to help you to prepare and give you the best chance of success, please read these hints and tips and tailor your approach accordingly. Please note that we recruit on a rolling basis so early application is strongly advised.
- Meet us. Check our events page and see where you can meet us face to face
- Be prepared, what would you like to know? Complete some research before attending one of our events or meeting us on campus so you are clear on the information you require to better understand our business and the opportunities available. Make sure you ask the right questions so you walk away knowing if you could envision a future with us.
- Be on time – or let us know if you can’t attend. Our events give great insight to our business and as they are relatively small and we don’t run many, they are usually over-subscribed. Giving us fair notice if you have realised you can't attend allows us to offer the space to someone who would also like to attend. Remember, the professionalism you show now provides us with an insight to how you may operate in our business and with our clients.
- Online Tests. Practise the online tests before you do them. You can find practice questions on our system or more widely on the web. Make sure you’re in quiet area with a good internet connection when you take the test for your application. We recommend using IE or Firefox to complete these tests.
- Become more than an application. Tell us more about your experiences and what first led you to consider the opportunities we are offering. Make yourself more than an application, show us the real you and make yourself memorable for the right reasons.
- Research. It is important to be fully aware of the business and programme you are applying to and why this is of interest to you, for example, we offer a rotational programme across the Group so if you’re absolutely clear on your career direction, this may not be the right opportunity for you. Go beyond the graduate website, go beyond the Group website. This is your future career – it deserves your time.
- Ensure your contact details are correct. If we cannot reach you, we cannot invite you to the assessments.
- Show your enthusiasm. A strong academic record and impressive achievements are a given for the top graduate employers. What often makes an application stand out from the crowd is its quality; how well it is written and how genuine and committed you are to our business.
- Tailor your thinking to us. The compulsory application questions are important and the best way to make yours unique is to put yourself at heart of your answers. We want to learn about you and what motivates and excites you.
- Come to us with original thinking. When you meet us through the selection stages, we want to hear your ideas and interpretation of what you have learnt about our business and the sector. It’s always great to meet candidates who are enthusiastic and keen to develop new opportunities.
- Be clear on the question being asked. Often candidates will have a supply of examples to pull on to answer questions. Although this demonstrates good preparation, be mindful when using this technique as you may try to fit an example to a question without providing a suitable response.
- Be prepared to discuss your reasons for wanting to join LSEG and the programme you apply to. If you can’t answer this, do you really want to join?
- When given the opportunity to ask an assessor questions, ask one or two. It shows you’re interested, and will provide you with additional knowledge about our business. This is your chance to have a full picture to help with your decision-making should you be offered a position.
- We always assess competencies more than once, so if you have a bad exercise during the assessment centre, put it to one side and move on. You will have several opportunities to show us what you are capable of. Remember, you will make mistakes through your career, but how you deal with these provides real insight to your approach and indicates how you may fit with our business.
- Always be clear on what you need to achieve during the exercises and ensure you focus on delivering. If you have not fully understood the instructions, you may complete the task incorrectly and limit your evaluation. So ask us if you’re unsure, we want to see you performing at your best.
- Remember, we cannot assess information we are not provided with. So when you’re in a group conversational exercise, make sure you contribute verbally, sharing your views and interpretations. Your participation will provide your assessor with insight.
Please note - we recommend using IE or Firefox browsers to complete your application