European Market Infrastructure Regulation (EMIR)
What is EMIR?
The European Market Infrastructure Regulation (EMIR) is an obligation to report all derivatives to trade repositories; a central clearing obligation for eligible OTC derivatives; measures to reduce counterparty credit risk and operational risk for bilaterally cleared OTC derivatives; as well as common rules for central counterparties (CCPs) and for trade repositories.
EMIR Refit timeline
In June 2022 the European Commission endorsed the EMIR Refit Standard
The three-month non-objection period for the Parliament and Council is expected to end on 10 September 2022
The publication in the Official Journal should take place soon after
Which firms are affected?
- All counterparties to all derivative transactions
- Includes financial and non-financial counterparties
- Under EMIR, a counterparty outside the EU does not have to report to a trade repository
Key points at a glance
Covers all derivative transactions:
- Equity, interest rate, currency, commodity, credit, “other”
- Includes OTC and exchange traded derivatives
- Differs from Dodd Frank by including ETDs -
- No exemptions for “non-EEA derivatives”
- Trading venue and underlying assets are irrelevant
- No exemptions for index or basket products
- Includes retail derivatives such as spreadbets
- Exchange-traded warrants are not included
No threshold below which transactions are not reportable
- Partial terminations
Trade repositories receive derivative trade details from different sources and make the information available to all relevant regulators (and a subset of information available to the public). Trade repository information:
- Helps detect systemic risk through position information
- Increases market transparency leading to greater understanding and increased confidence
- Determines and manage counterparty exposure in the event of a firm collapse
How can UnaVista help?
When harnessed, regulation can be powerful. Through years of expertise and trusted data accuracy, UnaVista can help you reframe regulation, so it’s no longer a hindrance, but an opportunity. Find out how our EMIR Reporting solution can help.
Want to find out more about our products?
Our sales team can provide help and expertise with your product-related queries.
Global Customer Support
UnaVista offer a follow the sun support model to our clients. In addition to the proactive monitoring of our UnaVista platform, we also provide 24x7 hardware and infrastructure monitoring as standard.
Call our customer support line: +44 (0)20 7797 1122
Content on this page is not intended as an exhaustive or definitive guide to the regulations, and is not the views of LSEG, but for general information purposes only. For detailed and up to date guidance on regulation you should always seek specialist advice and/or consider the actual regulation itself.