Markets swoon in October amid rising rate and war anxieties
Download the latest reports
Stocks and bonds extended losses in October as investors continued to reposition portfolios for a lengthier stretch of high interest rates amid relatively resilient economic data (particularly in the US). The outbreak of the Israel-Hamas war also unnerved investors, boosting the US dollar and gold. Few stock sectors went unscathed, though defensives and tech stocks fared best.
- Global Asset Classes – Widespread malaise
- Global Equities – US fares best, despite big small-cap selloff
- Industry returns – Health care and industrials hit hardest
- Alternative Indices – Environmental Opportunity recovery continues
- Factor performance – Low Volatility provides ballast
- Foreign Exchange – US dollar rally gathers steam
This report provides actionable insights on global performance across asset classes, regions, currencies, industries and styles, using proprietary month-end data from our flagship index families.
To support your investment decision-making, we produce specialist content that provides analysis and insights on a range of investment topics. Go to our hub for valuable Market Insights.