A Non-Executive Director Masterclass (in association with NEDA)
days to go
London Stock Exchange, London.
Covering Director rights and duties, the role of NEDS, NEDs and boards, the chairman and board committees, updates on corporate governance, business strategy and risk management and evolving good practices in board performance.
The session, led by The Non-Executive Directors’ Association (‘NEDA’), covers a breadth of essential topics including: Director rights and duties, the role of NEDS, NEDs and boards, the chairman and board committees, updates on corporate governance, business strategy and risk management, evolving good practices in board performance as well as exploring aspects of company culture and leadership styles. Central to this session is an experienced NED-led discussion which will provide an excellent opportunity to hear first-hand key aspects of the role and war-stories of what works well and areas that need sensitive handling. The session offers a range of case study material and practical examples and armed with this knowledge course delegates will be able to take on roles with greater confidence and authority.
The role of the Non-Executive Director (‘NED’) has come under closer scrutiny and the expectations of key stakeholders of companies, both internal and external, has increased significantly. NEDs are considered the guardians of corporate governance, but are also required to bring a broad range of experience and insight, as well as providing a positive and supporting challenge that meets the demands of new business models.
Aspiring NEDs need basic knowledge and understanding, new NEDs need to have the essential tools and techniques to hit the ground running, experienced NEDs need to keep up to date, both technically and with further development of some of the softer personal skills.
In addition to the in-depth review and update on NED related matters, there are several key outcomes that you can expect from this course;
- Understand what it means to be a professional non-executive director
- Consider the role in the context of the demands of a range of industry sectors
- Keep up to date with best in class governance, strategy and risk practices that are aligned to stakeholder interests
- Appreciate what an effective board looks like
- Understand how you can and should be adding tangible value to an organisation
- Consider the best way to go to market as a new NED, with some tips and hints on presenting yourself as an independent NED
- Gain from the knowledge and experience of the leading NED support organisation – a discounted NEDA membership package is also made available to course participants
Who should attend?
This one day course has been designed to appeal to the following professionals:
- Aspiring and new NEDs
- Company Secretaries and others who support NEDS
- NEDs seeking a refresher and to widen their portfolio
- A full copy of the course materials and examples
- A copy of the NED Handbook published by NEDA, in association with the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (‘ICSA’), which includes a number of case studies covering best practices that will serve as a reference guide and support your overall learning outcomes from the session.
- 50% off Discounted membership of your first year's membership of the Non-Executive Director's Association (first year membership normally £195)
If you require a private session for individual questions we can provide individual coaching sessions on a one-to-one basis with the course tutor.
Registration and coffee
- Introduction and session objectives
- Review of latest developments in the boardroom – Q&A session
- Corporate governance update – putting things into context
- The Non-Executive role
The Board and NEDs
- An ‘effective board’ – what does it look like, including director rights and duties
- The Chairman and Board committees
- Director values and attributes
- Board performance
A view from a NED
- The thoughts and war stories from an experienced corporate NED
What you need to know
- Strategy and NEDs
- Strategic risk management
- Current trends and hot topics
- Getting a role