An Introduction to Equity Markets
days to go
This one-day course uses live market data, case studies and worked examples to provide an overview of how mature equity markets function and put into context a company’s role within these markets.
This virtual course uses live market data, case studies and worked examples to provide an overview of how mature equity markets function and put into context a company’s role within these markets.
The course aims to build a framework for understanding:
- the role of the Exchange in the context of the UK financial services industry
- how, where and why UK and international companies are listed and admitted to trading
- the evolution of trading markets
- the different factors that can affect company share prices
- the technology that underpins the efficient operation of the market
- how and why markets are regulated and
- how financial market crimes are detected and investigated
- short selling, stock borrowing and stock
Who should attend?
This is an ideal course for professionals from member firms and corporate advisers, as well as executives from AIM or listed companies, for example:
- Compliance professionals
- Company secretarial staff
- Investor relations professionals
- Financial PR
- Finance directors/controllers
- Lawyers and accountants
- Listed company advisors
- Back office staff
- New graduates in the securities industry
- Those working in a support function within financial organisations
CPD points: This course attracts 6 CPD points.
7 September 2020 09:45 to 16:45 (with a break for lunch and short break in the morning & afternoon)
The development of London Stock Exchange over time
- Brief history and major milestones of London Stock Exchange Group
- Key functions of an exchange
- How and why companies issue equity
- Types of flotation and further capital raising
- Role of the UKLA and London Stock Exchange in capital markets
- Main Market
- Professional Securities Market (PSM)
- Specialist Fund Market (SFM)
- Instruments traded
- Key market participants
- Evolution of the trading markets
- Membership, trading connectivity and Rulebook
- Quote-driven trading
- SETS order book trading
The Panel on Takeovers and Mergers (POTAM)
- The role of POTAM
- Principles of the City Code on Takeovers and Mergers
- UK and European legislative position
The role of London Stock Exchange in regulating the markets
- Role of RNS in the dissemination of inside information
- Market abuse
- Market monitoring
How is a company’s closing share price arrived at each day?
- How closing prices are determined
- Understanding the auction process
- Live demonstration
- Watch the crossing and uncrossing process unfold through a live feed to the market
Conclusion - Equity market challenge prize giving
"I liked the relaxed atmosphere and ability to ask multiple questions. Excellent course trainer kept everyone interested very interactive."
"Excellent course, well presented great content and exceptionally well delivered and good interaction."
"Very well delivered."
"Excellent – very interactive."
"It clarified details that I had heard of but did not fully understand."
"Very well explained and so useful for my role."
"Great and comprehensive coverage of the topic."
"Excellent overview of the listing process and trading and LSEG’s role in this."
"It was a very useful overview."