London Stock Exchange’s ‘1000 Companies to Inspire Britain’ report Shows Continued Strength of UK SMEs
- Identifies fastest-growing and most dynamic small and medium sized businesses across the UK
1000 UK companies highlighted are expanding at an average of 50 per cent a year
- Sector and regional diversity continues to increase
- The Rt. Hon. Sajid Javid MP joins 40 company CEOs to open trading in London
- Report receives cross-party support and backing of UK’s major business bodies
The report in numbers:
- Fast-growing companies are appearing in all regions of the UK, with 78 per cent headquartered outside London
- The companies are growing at an average of 50 per cent a year
- Beyond Greater London with 217 companies, Greater Manchester is a stand out city with 36 companies, followed by Leeds and Aberdeen, home to 16 companies each
- Wales and Northern Ireland’s SMEs are thriving with 25 more companies, compared to 2015’s report
- Scottish companies are fastest growing with 83 per cent annual average revenue growth
- Almost 25 per cent of the companies are from the construction, engineering and manufacturing sectors, demonstrating those industries’ ability to adapt and succeed despite challenging headwinds
- Engineering & construction firms include A&B Engineering (involved in Liverpool’s Albert Dock development) and Clugston Group (construction partners on Harrogate’s new exhibition hall).
- Sector diversity continues to be strong - Food & Drink, IT and Retail companies remain exceptionally well represented
- There are 17 per cent more Food & Drink companies compared to last year, an indication of increased consumer spending
- Real Estate is one of the fastest growing sectors with an average annual growth rate of 123 per cent. Company names include Zoopla, Great Portland Estates and Belvoir Lettings
- Financial services firms also continue to grow rapidly, at an average annual revenue growth rate of 82 per cent
Today, more than 40 company CEOs featured in the report opened the London market together with Xavier Rolet, CEO, London Stock Exchange Group and the Rt. Hon. Sajid Javid, Secretary of Statement for Business, Innovation and Skills.
Writing in the publication, The Rt. Hon. George Osborne MP said:
"UK high-growth businesses are leading the charge in rebuilding our economy. These companies are the backbone of the British economy. They create high-quality, well paid jobs, innovate and drive economic growth. This government fully understands the need to support ambitious entrepreneurs and ensure they can access the finance they need to grow.
"We have held the steadfast belief that – alongside deficit reduction – nurturing entrepreneurs, creating jobs, supporting hard-working families and keeping taxes low would get the UK economy back on track. Our measures to increase access to finance for business and encourage more investment have had a transformative effect on our economy."
The Rt. Hon. Sajid Javid MP, Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills said:
"From the Midlands Engine to the Granite City of Aberdeen, these 1,000 companies are bringing opportunity and prosperity to every corner of the UK and it is right that we celebrate their success. The Government will continue to back hard working entrepreneurs. That’s why we are cutting more red tape, boosting access to finance and reducing corporation tax."
Xavier Rolet, Chief Executive, London Stock Exchange Group said:
"High growth SMEs are the driving force behind the UK economy, developing the skills, jobs and growth we need. But ambition alone is not enough; their success must be highlighted and their growth properly supported with appropriate finance. That’s why today’s event is so important: demonstrating the strong alliance between UK Government, financial market participants, investors, entrepreneurs and companies to support these inspiring businesses.
"Today’s celebration is fundamental to London Stock Exchange’s core, the need to support UK high growth companies in their journeys from Start-up to Stardom and create an entrepreneurship revolution."
LSEG’s "1000 Companies to Inspire Britain"
report series continues to receive cross-party support from leading politicians including The Rt. Hon. George Osborne MP, Sajid Javid MP Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills, Angela Eagle MP, Shadow First Secretary of State, Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills and John Swinney MSP, Deputy First Minister and Cabinet Secretary for Finance, Constitution and the Economy.
A full searchable database of all of the companies along with a downloadable pdf of the publication can be found online at
The report is supported by HSBC, Business Growth Fund and Cenkos Securities plc. DueDil was LSEG’s research partner for the report.