An Introduction to Equity Markets
London Stock Exchange, 10 Paternoster Square, London.
Understanding the mechanics of the markets.
This one-day training course is delivered by experts from within the London Stock Exchange and uses live market data, case studies and worked examples to provide an overview of how mature equity markets function and put into context a company’s role within these markets.
The course aims to build a framework for understanding:
- the role of the Exchange in the context of the UK financial services industry
- how, where and why UK and international companies are listed and admitted to trading
- the evolution of trading markets
- the different factors that can affect company share prices
- the technology that underpins the efficient operation of the market
- how and why markets are regulated and
- how financial market crimes are detected and investigated
- short selling, stock borrowing and stock
Who should attend?
This is an ideal course for professionals from member firms and corporate advisers, as well as executives from AIM or listed companies, for example:
- Compliance professionals
- Company secretarial staff
- Investor relations professionals
- Financial PR
- Finance directors/controllers
- Lawyers and accountants
- Listed company advisors
- Back office staff
- New graduates in the securities industry
- Those working in a support function within financial organisations
Registration fee: £695 + VAT
09:00 Welcome and introduction to course objectives The development of London Stock Exchange over time - Brief history and major milestones of London Stock Exchange Group - Key functions of an exchange Primary Markets - How and why companies issue equity - Types of flotation and further capital raising - Role of the UKLA and London Stock Exchange in capital markets 10.30 Coffee Primary Markets - Main Market - AIM - Professional Securities Market (PSM) - Specialist Fund Market (SFM) Secondary Markets - Instruments traded - Key market participants 12.30 Lunch Secondary Markets - Evolution of the trading markets - Membership, trading connectivity and Rulebook - Quote-driven trading - SETS order book trading 15:00 Coffee The Panel on Takeovers and Mergers (POTAM) - The role of POTAM - Principles of the City Code on Takeovers and Mergers - UK and European legislative position The role of London Stock Exchange in regulating the markets - Role of RNS in the dissemination of inside information - Market abuse - Market monitoring How is a company’s closing share price arrived at each day? - How closing prices are determined - Understanding the auction process - Live demonstration Watch the crossing and uncrossing process unfold through a live feed to the market 16.45 – 17:00 Conclusion - Equity market challenge prize giving