How to be an effective PLC Director
days to go
London Stock Exchange
Developing effective and valuable Board members
This new Board masterclass series fulfils a development need for top senior managers, executives and non-executives (NEDs) in AIM and Main Market companies transitioning between roles or seeking to develop their board skills.
Bringing together the best of LSEG Academy, relevant behavioural science, coaching and the views of City-based experts, this masterclass series will develop participants to be effective and valuable board members.
In order to provide a format that suits busy schedules, the programme will combine an immersive 2-day practical workshop with 3 follow-up breakfast seminars and webinars.
These continuing events will allow concise knowledge transfer, peer learning and further development of the key skills acquired in the workshop. Follow-up content will be made available online .
The schedule of this series is as follows:
- 24 / 25 June: Two-day workshop at the London Stock Exchange (please see tab "Agenda")
- 17 September from 8.30 to 10.00: Seminar "Successfully evaluating your board"
- 27 November from 8.30 to 10.00: Seminar "Managing Boardroom dynamics"
- 23 January from 8.30 to 10.00: Seminar "Avoiding legal pitfalls and risks"
The two-day workshop and the follow-up seminars can be bought separately or as a bundle.
Training objectives and take-aways
This workshop combines essential technical content on directors’ obligations, regulatory environment and listing rules, in-depth self-development sessions focusing on boardroom behaviours and first-hand insights from key Board stakeholders.
The workshop will be experiential and will give delegates a chance to experience and practise being a director in a practical, safe but challenging learning environment.
Who should attend
- Aspiring Board members and existing directors seeking to improve their understanding of and performance in the boardroom environment
- Executive directors and NEDs of listed companies
- Board members of companies seeking a listing on the public markets in the near future
Delegates can be based in the UK or overseas and the webinars make the programme very accessible for those not based in London.
Delegates will be expected to attend the 2-day Masterclass Workshop in person.
Workshop in London
24 and 25 June 2019
08:30 Registration, breakfast & coffee
09:00 Course introduction, meet the other delegates, ice-breaker and survey output debrief
09:45 What it means to be a Director
- Legal backdrop
- What does an effective and valuable director and non-executive director do?
- What are my strengths and limitations as a director / non-executive director (group exercise)
11:00 Transitioning to the Board
- The role of the Board
- Collective and individual accountability
- The required behaviours and mindset to be effective at Board level and what that means for me
11:45 The Board’s role in strategy
- Links between strategy, value and the organisational system
- Asking great board questions
- Business models
- Strategic thinking behaviours
14:00 The Fund Manager’s View (External speaker)
- Fund Manager view on the importance of Environmental and Social Governance
- Stewardship Code
- What they look for from companies
14:45 Introduction to Risk Management
- Risk Management Frameworks
- The work of the Risk Committee
- Risk Registers and Viability statements
- Risk and Crisis Management case studies ( follow on and debrief after break)
16.15 Chairman’s Perspective (External speaker)
- What the Chair looks for from the Board
- Hot topics. successes and pitfalls
17.00 Reflections and close of day one
09:00 Welcome and reflections on day one
09.15 Boardroom Dynamics
- The different roles and relationships within the Board
- Delegated powers and terms of reference
- The use of technical experts and advisors
- Different perspectives
10.15 How the Board functions
- The processes of a well-functioning board
- Design essential processes
11.15 Communication styles and difficult moments
- Introduction to social styles of communication
- Key tools for managing difficult moments
- Importance of non-verbal communication
- Explore difficult board situations and how to handle them
13.30 RemCo or NomCo Chair (External speaker)
- Hiring and firing directors / Board’s role in remuneration
- Board effectiveness evaluation
14:00 Board meetings in practice
- Interactive session for example board meeting post strategic issue exhibiting difficult behaviours
- Debrief handling of issues and behaviours
15.15 Getting a role on the Board (External speaker)
- The Board CV
- References, due diligence, remuneration and insurance
15.45 Reflections, actions and commitments
16.30 Close of day two
- 17 September from 8.30 to 10.00 "Successfully evaluating your board"
- 27 November from 8.30 to 10.00 "Managing Boardroom dynamics"
- 23 January from 8.30 to 10.00 "Avoiding legal pitfalls and risks"