Influencing skills course agenda
Welcome and introduction to course objectives
- Rationale for the programme and introduction to the timetable
- Introductory exercise to identify delegates aims and objective for attending the workshop
The nature of influence
- Influence can be exerted in many different ways and with different consequences. This section will look at how influence is achieved and the range of influencing tools available.
Barriers to influence
- Participants will be encouraged to look at the reasons why people fail to be influential when they need the cooperation of others.
Influencing in groups
- Being influential in groups can be harder and the workshop will examine the various factors at play here.
Practical group exercise
- The session will include an exercise where participants will operate in small groups trying to solve a realistic business problem.
Alternative influencing strategies
- Individuals respond differently when facing a situation where they want to be influential. This session will involve participants completing an influencing strategies profile to gain insight into how they can improve their flexibility by adopting different influencing strategies.
Lunch and networking
Insights from neuroscience
- Recent research in neuroscience using latest MRI technology has enabled new insights into the way the brain functions, a number of which have implications for influencing people. This has particular relevance for influencing people who may initially exhibit signs of hostility towards you.
Constructive organisational politics
- Politics are prevalent in all organisations and being influential requires an understanding of the different political profiles people adopt and what an appropriate response might be. A profile mapping technique will be introduced.
Politics case study
- Participants will be presented with a real life situation and asked to analyse the politics at play and, taking the role of a particular person, how to respond constructively.
- It’s a truism that things often get done at work through relationships – especially in a financial services environment. This session uses a unique technique that identifies where and how to develop more productive professional partnerships.
Making yourself more influential
- In this final session, participants will create an action plan for making themselves more influential.
17:00 Course close