Advanced business negotiation
days to go
London Stock Exchange, London
Improve your negotiation skills with our expert negotiator
This one day practical workshop, run by an ex-Corporate Finance solicitor, is designed for business professionals seeking to develop their negotiation skills. The workshop is uniquely based upon the insights and experiences of a variety of seasoned City negotiators interviewed by the facilitator, as well as the facilitator’s own perspective and leading academic publications. Interviewees included the legal counsel of a GAFA company (Google, Amazon, Facebook, Apple company), the general counsel of a global SIFI (Systemically Important Financial Institution), a Big 4 accountancy firm legal director, a leading national law firm’s litigation partner and various directors at a multi-million dollar international commercial company (the strategy director, company secretary, commercial director, head of digital and general counsel).
The workshop directly addresses the issues at the core of business negotiation by asking delegates to consider 3 central questions:
Who are the people involved?
- Understanding human dynamics in negotiation, essential communication skills, assessing your own effectiveness as a negotiator, how to get to the heart of your counterpart’s motivations, tactics, difficult people, difficult subject matter, recognising challenges in different negotiation settings (email/ telephone/ face-to-face)
What are the problems and how can I solve them?
- Positional and principled theories, how to create persuasive arguments, finding mutually satisfactory solutions, strategies for deadlock resolution.
What is the most effective way to prepare for a negotiation?
- Identifying ZoPAs, BATNAs, walkaways and underlying interests, developing strategies, preparing to be adaptable).
A variety of course exercises explore these themes and delegates take part in a case study based on a real-life business purchase. In addition, the above-mentioned interviewee’s insights are woven into the exercises. Delegates are provided with a comprehensive pack of material to use during and after the course comprising: an overview of negotiation theories and strategies, a list of the top 10 tips and pitfalls, exercises, a full copy of the interviews with the experienced negotiators, a bibliography, the case study and a set of prioritisation, preparation and evaluation sheets to continue professional development of these skill in practice.
Who should attend?
This one-day course has been designed to appeal to those wishing to reflect upon and further develop their negotiation skills. It is suitable for both lawyers and other professionals with some experience of negotiation.
CPD points: This course attracts 6 CPD points.
“In business as in life, you don’t get what you deserve… you get what you negotiate.” (Dr C Karass, author of ‘Negotiating: Strategies for Successful Negotiating’)
08:30 – 09:00: Registration and Coffee
09:00 – 09:30: Welcome and Introductions
09:30 – 10:30: Negotiation Overview
- Warm up negotiation exercise
- The 3 “P”s of negotiation: People, Problems, Preparation
- Negotiation Theories
- Qualities of Effective Negotiators
10:30 – 10:45: Coffee
10:45 – 12:30: “The People”
- Communication Skills
- Understanding your objectives and the other side’s
12:30 – 13:30: Lunch
13:30 – 14:00: “Problems and Problem-solving”
- Options and Criteria
- Dealing with Difficulty
14:00 – 15:00: “Preparation”
- Strategy and Planning
- BATNAs and Walkaways
- Aiming High – the pros and cons
15:00 – 15.15: Coffee
15:15 – 16:30: Case Study Negotiations
16:30 – 17:00: Wrap-up
17:00 - Close