Becoming a member of London Stock Exchange
Becoming a London Stock Exchange Member
Why become a member?
As a London Stock Exchange member firm you can trade in a range of financial products directly on our trading platforms, including UK and international equities, derivatives and depositary receipts. Membership provides the lowest latency access to our trading systems.
Our members form a network of over 350 trading participants, with a diverse range of firms including banks, agency brokers, market makers, proprietary traders and retail stockbrokers.
All our members can benefit from reduced real time data fees and financial incentives are available to brokers, market makers and proprietary traders. In addition, members may be eligible for relief from Stamp Duty Reserve Tax.
How to become a member
- LSE membership is available to companies only; applications from individuals cannot be accepted.
- Applicants should hold a Hong Kong Securities & Futures Commission license covering Dealing in Securities and/ or Dealing in Futures Contracts
- Proprietary trading firms that do not hold an SFC license may also be able to apply, subject to additional conditions and the approval of the SFC.
- All member firms need to understand and comply with the London Stock Exchange’s Rules.
Hong Kong Member Firms regulatory requirements
London Stock Exchange plc ('LSE plc') has not inquired as to whether the securities listed or admitted to trading on LSE plc have been registered with or authorized by the Securities and Futures Commission or any regulatory authority in Hong Kong, and Hong Kong member firms should conduct their own independent due diligence in this regard. Moreover as per Part IV, section 103, of the Hong Kong Securities & Futures Ordinance (Cap.571), products that fall within the definition of "structured products" under the SFO are not intended for investors that are not 'professional investors' in Hong Kong, as defined in the SFO and subsidiary legislation thereunder. Therefore, in order to ensure compliance with the relevant Hong Kong law and regulatory requirements, Hong Kong member firms are required to perform their own due diligence on all the securities they intend to trade. Additional information on the cleared securities available for trading on the Millennium Exchange trading syatems is provided in the excel file in the excel file named “List of Cleared Securities for Hong Kong member firms”, available in the paragraph below, which has to be consulted in conjunction with the information provided in the 'LSE plc Disclaimer' also available below.
The list below refers to all securities available for trading on the Millennium Exchange trading system.
Download the List
(This report is updated daily before 08:00 UK time).
LSE plc Disclaimer:
London Stock Exchange plc ("LSE plc") has not inquired as to whether the securities listed or admitted to trading on LSE plc have been registered with or authorised by the Securities and Futures Commission or any regulatory authority in Hong Kong, and Hong Kong member firms should conduct their own indepenedent due diligence in this regard. As per Part IV, section 103, of the Hong Kong Securities & Futures Ordinance (Cap.571) ("SFO"), products that fall within the definition of "structured products" under the SFO are not intended for investors that are not 'professional investors' in Hong Kong, as defined in the SFO and subsidiary legislation thereunder. Hong Kong member firms must perform their own, independent due diligence on any sceurity they intend to trade to ensure their compliance with applicable Hong Kong law, in particular, if they are acting for a non-professional investor. In the file ' List of Cleared Securities for Hong Kong member firms', Hong Kong member firms of the LSE plc can find information on all the securities available for them to trade on the LSE plc on the MilleniumIT trading system. This includes securities identified by the LSE plc that may be structured products under Hong Kong law. Hong Kong firms, acting for a non-professional investor, are advised to exercise greater care in respect of the nature of these securities and their obligations under applicable Hong Kong law. Such securities identified by the LSE plc may not be a definitive list of structured products, and the LSE plc takes no responsibility for, and accepts no liability in respect of, the identification or failure to identify structured products under Hong Kong law or the trading activity of any Hong Kong member firm.
List of Cleared Securities for Hong Kong member firms
All derivative instruments are available for trading by Hong Kong member firms on the SOLA trading system, with the exception of Norwegian products.
Clearing and Settlement
- Members need to have appropriate clearing and settlement arrangements in place for their trading activities.
- For trading on SETS, we offer a choice of central counterparties that you can access directly or via a third party provider (a general clearing member).
- The Membership Team can provide contact details of accredited clearing and settlement providers on LSE markets. Please click here for a list of providers.
Connectivity & Trading Software
We offer a range of solutions to connect to our markets with different levels of management and performance, ranging from full host-to-host solutions to third party proprietary networks.
In addition, you can either certify in-house trading applications to work with our trading system or use any accredited software provider.
Become a member in only three steps:
- Apply by submitting your Membership Application Form and Trading Services Order Form with any supporting documents.
- Prepare your trading connection and post-trade arrangements.
- Go Live - upon approval of your application, you can arrange a live date with the Membership Team